Sev is an anytime salty snack. These are basically fried noodles made with gram flour and spices. It is shaped with Sev press, a unique brass utensil equipped with different interchangeable disks. A fine-holed ( thick or thin ) disk is attached to the container and filled with the dough. Then it is pressed directly into the hot oil where it fries into crisp noodles.
Sev ( Fried Gram - flour Noodles )
Serves : 4 - 6
- 150 gm. besan ( Gram flour )
- 1/2 tsp. ajwain ( carom seeds )
- 1 tsp. red chillies powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. hot oil
- 3 fl. oz. water ( or as required )
- Oil for deep-frying
- Sieve the gram flour into a bowl and add ajwain, chilli powder and salt.
- Add hot oil and then gradually add water.
- Mix to a stiff paste ( Do not be tempted to add more water, this is meant to be a stiff paste ).
- Heat the oil over a medium flame ( test it with a small bit of dough first ).
- Grease your hands with some oil for ease in handling the dough. Grease the inside cylinder of the Sev press.
- Fill the Sev press with dough. Screw the lid / top.
- Holding the utensil over the hot oil, force the mixture through the holes by turning the handle.
- As soon as noodles fall, slowly move the machine in a circular motion ( so that they do not stick together) to make a circle and finish when you come to center ( cut off the dough with your fingers).
- Cook for about ( 1 - 2 minutes), then carefully turn the sev with the help of a large metal spoon.
- Cook another minute until crisp and lightly golden.
- Remove and drain on a kitchen paper.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Store as it is, or break into small pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container.
This goes to the Event My Legume Love Affair # 31 hosted this month by Simona of Briciole & created by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook , Deep Fried Snacks ,Serve It - Fried started by hosted this month by Denny , Kid’s Delight – Crunchy snacks hosted this month by event by Srivalli