Gateau Gingli Rier / Sesame Seeds Balls - Laughing Cakes ... A recipe from Mauritian cuisine! These are small balls made of dough, dipped in egg, covered with sesame seeds and fried. A tasty treat for sesame seeds lovers ... ENJOY!!!
Gateau Gingli Rier / Sesame Seed Balls - Laughing Cakes
***************************************************************Recipe from Recipes from Mauritius
* Prep. Time : 20 minutes
* Cook Time : 15 minutes
* Serves : 10 - 12
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp soft butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp water
- 3/4 cups sesame seeds
- Oil, for frying
- Mix butter and sugar until well blended.
- Gradually add the egg and water to the mixture. Mix well.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add flour and sesame seeds to the butter mixture.
- Mix thoroughly until the dough is well formed. and uniform in consistency.
- Roll out the dough into a long cylinder and cut into 30 pieces.
- Whisk together extra egg and water in a small bowl.
- Roll each piece into a ball. Dampen slightly with whisked egg + water mixture, then roll in sesame seeds to coat. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or a pan for deep frying over medium heat.
- Add sesame balls in batches and fry , turning occasionally until the surface cracks and the balls turn light golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.
- Or store in an air-tight container, and serve as a snack with Tea.
When making balls, you may cut in on one side of the sesame balls a cross incision 1/4 deep with a sharp knife to dictate the cracking of the sesame balls during frying ( I skipped this step, but the balls still cracked ).
Sending this post to Akila of Learning to Cook's event Dish Name Starts With G
Now coming to the awards, Akheela of Torview has given this lovely participation award for the event Food Palette Series Brown. Thank you so much Akheela!
The rules of the awards are:
1. Accept the award. Post it in your blog with the name of the blogger who has given you this award with a link to his/her blog.
2. Pass it on to 15 other blogger friends…. to keep the ball rolling.
3. Let the nominated blogger know about their award [leave a comment in their most recent post].
Now, to award fellow bloggers whom I have recently found:
- SANGI at ! !SIMPLYDELICIOUS!
- Seema at Amchi Bong Konnexion
- Reshmi Mahesh at EasY CooK
- Karishma at Effortless cooking. Easy baking.
- Shabitha at From My Home Kitchen
- Mehjabeen at Jabeen's Corner
- revathi at Kaarasaaram
- Smita at Little Food Junction
- Magpie at Magpies Recipes
- My attempt at The Julie/Julia project at Not So Gourmet...
- Sonali at Only Fish Recipes
- Plateful at Plateful
- Preety at Preety's Kitchen
- Raksha at Raksha's Kitchen
- Familycook at The food I cook...
Linking this to Serve It - Fried , started by hosted this month by Denny
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!