Tea time snack...It's very addictive. Papdi is basically fried strips , made of gram flour dough.
Recipe from InSurat.com
* Prep. Time : 10 minutes
* Cook Time : 15 minutes
* Serves : 5 - 6
- 2 cups gram flour ( besan )
- 1/4 tsp. soda bicarb
- 1/4 tsp. ajwain seeds
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt(or to taste)
- oil to deep fry
- Mix all ingredients, add water little by little to make very soft dough.
- Heat oil in a wide heavy pan.
- Fill the sev machine with a portion of dough.
- Holding the utensil over the hot oil, force the mixture through the holes by turning the handle.
- As soon as ribbons fall, slowly move the machine in a circular motion so that they do not stick together.
- Fry on medium heat until crisp and lightly browned.
- Remove, drain on a paper towel and cool to crisp further. Break into pieces.
- Serve Papdi as a snack.
- This can be stored for 2-3 weeks in an airtight container.
- Take a fistful of dough, place on a greased polythene sheet.
- With base of palm drag the dough in a straight line, from start.
- For support hold the dough at starting point with other hand.
- This will for a strip of the lump of dough.
- A little practice will make this technique very easy.
- Make 3-4 such strips, fry in hot oil.