Aloo Chana Chaat ( Potatoes & Chickpeas with Yogurt ) ... Boiled chickpeas, potatoes, boondi ( fried drops of gram-flour batter) with yogurt sauce. Serve this chaat as a light meal or a snack.
Aloo Chana Chaat ( Potatoes & Chickpeas with Yogurt )
Serves : 10 - 12
For Chaat :
- 500 gm. chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 250 gm. potatoes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies, chopped ( optional )
- Ready-made samosa patti or spring roll wrappers, cut into small pieces
- Chaat masala, to taste
For Boondi :
- 1 cup gram-flour
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- Pinch of nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- Water, as required
- Cooking oil, for deep frying
- 1 kg. plain yogurt
- Water or milk, as required
- 1 tbsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder or to taste
- Boil chickpeas in plenty of water until tender, but not mushy. Drain water & keep aside to cool.
- Peel the potatoes, cut in small cubes and boil in water until just tender, not mushy. Drain water & keep aside to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare boondi. Combine all ingredients for boondi except water and oil in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add enough water to make a thick and smooth batter; whisk well to avoid any lumps. Leave to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over medium high heat. Hold a perforated spoon or flat ladle with holes over wok with one hand and drop large spoonfuls of batter on the perforated spoon.
- Spread the batter with the back of the spoon or your hand in a circular motion; the batter will start dropping through the holes into the oil. Fry until the boondi is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; immediately soak boondi in plenty of water for few minutes until softened.
- Take the boondi out of the water and press them gently between the palms of your hands to squeeze out the water. Keep aside.
- Continue this process with the remaining batter.
- To make quick papri, fry the samosa patti or spring roll wrappers in hot oil until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Combine chickpeas, potatoes, boondi, onion, cabbage and green chillies in a large bowl or serving dish.
- Whisk yogurt in another bowl with salt and red chilli. Add water or milk to make it a bit runny as the boondi absorbs liquid. Adjust seasoning.
- Pour over the chickpeas mixture and mix gently. Keep refrigerated until time of serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle chaat masala, add sweet tamarind mint chutney ( optional ) and place papri on top.
Linking this to these parties : The Sunday Showcase Party , nifty thrifty sunday , Sundae Scoop , Think Pink Sundays , Sugar & Slice Sunday , Martha Mondays , A Round Tuit , Make it Pretty Monday , What’d You Do This Weekend? , Time to Sparkle , Tasty Tuesdays , Tasteful Tuesdays , Tuesday Talent Show , Wednesday Adorned from Above , Whatcha' Whipped Up , Hookin Up with HoH , It's a Party! , Cast Party Wednesday , Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Riverton Housewives Round Up , Two Girls and a Party ( Parrish & Dana ) , Full Plate Thursday , SYS Blog Link Party , The Weekly Creative , Blog Stalking Thursday , Thursday's treasures ( Christie, Debi & Joan ) , Showcase Your Talent Thursday , Tasty Thursday , Simply Create Link Party ( Ashley & Melissa ) , what's shakin' link party , Friday Favorites , Happy Hour Friday , Shine On Fridays ( Kara , Amy , Kirsten , Hannah ) , Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday , Foodie Friday , Freedom Fridays , Do Something Crafty Friday , Friday Flash Blog , T.G.I.F. Link Party , The Weekend re-Treat , Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday , SHOW-licious Craft Showcase , Your Great Idea Link Party
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!