Bhuna Qeema ( Karahi Mince )
Serves : 3 - 4
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 4 - 6 black peppercorns
- 3 - 4 cloves
- 1 large black cardamom
- 2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 3 whole / button red chillies
- 500 gm. minced meat ( beef or mutton )
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. crushed red chillies
- 1 tbsp. crushed coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan or wok ( karahi ). Add onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add cumin seeds, nigella seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and whole red chillies ; fry for a minute.
- Add minced meat and ginger garlic paste; stir-fry on medium heat until the mince changes color.
- Now add crushed red chillies, crushed coriander seeds, turmeric, salt and tomatoes.
- Stir well and cook, covered over medium heat for 20 - 25 minutes ( the mince will leave water and will cook in its own water ).
- Increase heat to high, cook, stirring frequently until all the moisture has evaporated and the oil separates.
- Add green chilies and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and cook covered on very low heat for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with Nan / Chapati.