Gajar Kheer ( Carrot Kheer ) ... A traditional milk and rice dessert with the addition of carrots. It is usually made on special occasions. I have used some leftover Barfi in this recipe, you can replace it with khoya / milk powder. Rich, creamy & delicious!!!
Gajar Kheer ( Carrot Kheer )
* Prep. Time : 15 minutes
* Cook Time : 45 - 50 minutes
* Serves : 8 - 10
2 litre milk
200 gm. sugar (or to taste)
125 gm. carrots, peeled and grated ( about 1 cup )
60 gm. rice ( soaked for an hour, drained, dried on kitchen towel & ground )
125 gm. Barfi ( You can substitute it with khoya / dry milk powder, adjust sweetness )
4 -5 green cardamom
20 almonds, finely chopped
20 pistachios, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. kewra water
Almonds & pistachios, sliced for garnishing
Dissolve rice powder in little milk in a small bowl.
Pour the remaining milk in a pan and bring to a boil.
Once milk is boiled, add sugar, carrots, rice ( dissolved in milk ).
Cook, stirring constantly for around 5 minutes.
On medium flame, cook the mixture ( stirring often and scraping the base & sides of the pan ) till it starts to thicken.
Add barfi, cardamom powder, almonds & pistachios.
Keep on stirring, cook to desired thickness.
Remove from heat, add kewra water.
Pour in bowls and garnish with almonds and pistachios.
Sending this recipe to these events Celebrate Sweets - Rice hosted this month by Priya , started by Nivedita
Treat To Eyes - Series 2 , an event by Rumana of Spice Ur Senses
Food Palette Series Pink ,an event by Akheela of Torview
Also sending this along with Green Vegetables Rice
to the event Dish Name Starts with G by Akila of Learning To Cook
I have received these two awards from a multi-talented girl, Priya of Now Serving. She has a wonderful blog. I'm sure you are all familiar with her. Please check out her blog if you haven't already. It is always nice to feel appreciated. Thank you very much Priya that you thought of me.
Here are the rules :
1. Thank and link back to the person who gave you the award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass this award to bloggers that you have recently discovered.
4. Contact those bloggers and tell them about their award.
Now 7 things about me:
- I have a huge sweet tooth....love every kind of desserts.
- I love to bake, mostly simple cakes & cookies.
- I like all the colors but my all time favorite colors are black and pink.
- I want to stop living in a fantasy world all the time.
- My other interests are sewing & embroidery.
- I enjoy solitude, but I'm not anti-social.
- I've always wanted to start my own blog. I'm grateful to you for your support & encouragement!
Suja Sugathan at Kitchen Corner-Try It
Rupali at RecipeGrabBag
CREATIVE MIND at Creative Mind
Jay at Tasty Appetite
Shireen at Ruchik Randhap
Zareena at My Experiments With Food
Rumana Rawat at Spice Ur Senses
Please check out these lovely blogs! Thanks again Priya!
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!