Chicken Karahi ... chicken cooked with a spicy tomato-based gravy. It is best to cook it in a Wok (Karahi) but regular pot can also be used.
* Prep. Time : 20 minutes
* Cook Time : 30 - 40 minutes
* Serves : 4 - 6
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 500 gm. chicken pieces
- 1 medium ( 50 gm. ) onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 4 medium ( 375 gm. ) tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 small green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt ( to taste )
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red chillies
- 1 tsp. crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. dried fenugreek leaves ( kasuri methi )
- 1 tbsp. ginger, julienne cut
- 1 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves,chopped
- Heat oil in a wok / large pan. Add chicken and fry on low heat till the water in the chicken dries & it turns light brown.
- Remove from oil and keep aside.
- Add chopped onions in the oil and fry on a medium heat until the onions are slightly soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the fried chicken, tomatoes, salt, crushed chillies, crushed coriander, green chillies, ground cumin. Mix well.
- Cook on medium heat till the tomatoes have softened & the chicken is done.
- Turn up the heat and further cook, stirring constantly until oil separates.
- Stir in the ginger, black pepper, garam masala & fenugreek leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes on very low heat.
- Sprinkle with green coriander. Serve hot with Naan.
I would like to thank Shobha of Food Mazaa for sharing this lovely award. Be sure to check out her blog for delicious recipes. Thank you so much Shobha!!!