Tangerine Butterfly Cupcakes ... These butterfly cupcakes are delicious, cute & easy to make! They have a very nice citrus flavor, topped with orange flavored icing. Perfect for a birthday party, special occasions or just for a special treat :)
Orange Butterfly Cupcakes
* Prep. Time : 30 minutes
* Cook Time : 16 - 18 minutes
* Makes : 12 cupcakes
For cupcakes :
- 125 gm. butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp. tangerine zest, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup tangerine juice
- 1/4 cup milk
For the icing :
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 2 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. tangerine juice
- Melted chocolate
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Sprinkles, Chocolate chips, Desiccated coconut, etc.
For cupcakes :
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease or line 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric beater until soft.
- Add the sugar & tangerine zest and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Mix in the coconut.
- Add this flour mixture in the butter mixture.
- Add milk & tangerine juice. Beat on low speed just until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases.
- Bake in the oven for 16 - 18 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter & tangerine juice.
- Beat until smooth ( If the icing is too thin, add a little more icing sugar ).
- Transfer to a piping bag or simply use a spoon to spread the Icing.
To assemble :
- Cut off the tops of the cupcakes and cut each top in half.
- Using a heart shaped cutter, make hearts from each half to make the butterfly wings. Set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of Icing on top of the cut cupcake, pipe icing in the center of each cupcake.
- Dust generously on top of the wings with icing sugar.
- Arrange two wings at an angle on top of each cupcake and decorate with chocolate chips, if using.
- Place the melted chocolate in a plastic bag. Make a small hole by cutting a corner of the bag.
- On a parchment paper ( placed on a baking sheet), pipe the design to make antennae and body.
- Set aside until the chocolate is set. Spread a thin layer of Icing on top of the cut cupcake, also on top of the wings.
- Sprinkle coconut / sprinkles or Icing sugar on top of the wings.
- Pipe Icing in the center of each cupcake.
- Arrange two wings at an angle on top of each cupcake and place the set chocolate ( antennae & body) in the center.
Sending this recipe to these events Crazy For Cakes by Priya ( Now Serving ), Show Me Your Muffin by Divya Vikram ( Dil Se.. ) and Treat To Eyes : Series 2 by Rumana Rawat ( Spice Ur Senses )
I am not very good at Icing cakes, but hopefully you'll like it :)
Thank you for stopping by! Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!