Chanay Ki Daal Chicken ... Bengal Gram lentils cooked in a spicy chicken curry!
Chanay Ki Daal Chicken
* Prep. Time : 20 minutes
* Cook Time : 1 hr.
* Serves : 8 - 10
For Lentil :
- 250 gm Bengal Gram ( chanay ki daal ), washed & soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 glasses water( or as required )
For Chicken Curry :
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 medium ( 125 gm. ) onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium ( 125 gm. ) tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 500 gm. chicken pieces
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 3 cloves
- 4 - 5 whole black peppers
- 1 large cardamom
- 2" piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. red chillies powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 - 3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- Combine Bengal Gram, turmeric and water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, covered, on medium heat till lentil is tender. Lightly mash with the back of the spoon.
- While lentil is cooking, make chicken curry.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and fry till golden brown. Remove from oil.
- Put in a blender with tomatoes and cumin seeds. Add little water and blend to a thick paste.
- Add chicken to oil and fry for few minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste, cloves, black pepper, cardamom and cinnamon stick.
- Fry for 30 seconds, then add turmeric, red chillies, coriander powder and salt.
- Stir and add tomato onion paste. Mix well.
- Add ( 1/2 cup ) water and cook, covered, on medium heat till chicken is done and water is almost dried (Stir occasionally during cooking).
- Turn heat to high and cook, stirring frequently until the curry leaves oil.
- Add water (1 cup / as required) and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked lentil and mix well.
- Sprinkle green chillies, coriander leaves and garam masala powder.
- Cook, covered, on very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Chapati / Naan or boiled rice.
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!