Fish Curry ... Fish in a tasty gravy. You can cook this with potatoes or without them. We usually use Rohu which is very popular in Pakistan, specially in Punjab province. It is a non-oily / white fish.
* Prep. Time : 15 minutes
* Cook Time : 40 minutes
* Serves : 6 - 8
- 1 kg. fish pieces ( Rohu or any other variety )
- 1/2 cup oil
- 250 gm. onions, finely sliced
- 250 gm. yogurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds ( methi dana )
- 1/4 tsp. nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 3-4 cloves
- 5-6 whole black peppers
- 2 large cardamoms
- 2" cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp ginger & garlic paste
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & cut in large pieces
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves
- First sprinkle little salt on the fish and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash thoroughly in tap water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large wide pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Drain from oil, let cool a bit, then grind to a fine powder.
- Combine yogurt and ground onion in a bowl and mix well.
- Reheat oil in the pan.
- Put in cumin seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds, cloves, black pepper, cardamom and cinnamon. Allow them to splutter for 10 seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 15-20 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, red chillies and coriander powder and 1 tbsp water. Stir-fry for few seconds.
- Quickly pour in the yogurt mixture, add salt and water.
- Bring to a boil. Cook, covered, on medium heat until water is reduced.
- Turn heat to medium-high, cook, stirring frequently until water dries out and the sides of the pan leaves the oil.
- Now add potatoes and enough water to cook the potatoes.
- Cook, covered until potatoes are done and no water left.
- Add the fish in a single layer in the pan.
- Simmer gently, spooning the sauce over the fish until it has just cooked through.
- Add little water, if you want a thin gravy. Bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle garam masala and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Naan / Chapatti.
Sending this to the monthly event Dish Name Starts With : F , an event created by Akila of Learning To Cook
Thank you for stopping by! Enjoy!!!