Bhari Bhindi ( Tangy Stuffed Okra ) ... This is a delicious side dish, okra stuffed with raw mango & spices and then cooked. Enjoy it with chapati / roti or paratha. It sounds like a lot of effort to stuff each okra , but the end result is totally worth it.
Bhari Bhindi ( Tangy Stuffed Okra )
* Prep. Time : 30 minutes
* Cook Time : 25 - 30 minutes
* Serves : 3 - 4
- 500 gm. Okra / lady finger ( Bhindi )
- 1 small ( about 100 - 125 gm. ) raw mango, peeled & chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds ( saunf ), crushed
- 1/4 tsp. nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 1/4 tsp. carom seeds ( ajwain )
- 1 tsp. fenugreek seeds ( methi dana )
- 3 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- Wash the okra and pat dry with absorbent paper ( it should be dry to cut or they will become slimy).
- Slice of tops and and ends and discard. Slit lengthwise on one side ( not all the way through ) so that it can be stuffed, keep aside.
- Grind / blend raw mango & cumin seeds with little water until you get a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add all the remaining ingredients for stuffing; mix well.
- Gently open the okra at the slit, stuff little stuffing into the slit with a spoon.
- Repeat this with the rest of the okra.
- Keep aside the left over masala, if any.
- Heat oil in a wide pan / wok. Place okra in a single layer.
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally till they starts to turn brown( about 15 minutes ).
- Add the remaining masala, cook on low heat, stirring occasionally until okra is tender.
- Serve hot with roti / chapati or paratha.
Linking this to Iftar Moments Hijri 1432 , Let’s Cook Series #6 ~ Subzis for Rotis , SIGNATURE RECIPES , IFTAR NIGHTS
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!