Lamingtons,very popular in Australia,is a sponge cake in the shape of a cuboid that is dipped in a sweet chocolate icing and then rolled in desiccated coconut.Enjoy as a dessert or serve with morning or afternoon tea.
Recipe taken from Huletts Sugar
* Prep. Time : 50 minutes
* Cook Time : 25 – 30 minutes
* Makes : 16 squares
Vanilla Sponge :
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Castor Sugar
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 1/2 cup Flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Hot Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Butter OR Margarine
- Desiccated Coconut, for coating
- Whisk the castor sugar and eggs in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and vanilla essence, and mix well.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder to the mixture alternatively with the milk.
- Pour the creamed mixture into a greased pan (I used 10" x 7" pan) and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares.
- Heat the sugar, cocoa, butter and water until bubbly.
- Allow to cool, then dip the sponge squares into the sauce and roll in the coconut.
- Place the Lamingtons on a wire rack to dry and then store in an airtight container for several days.