Kaleji Gurday Masala ( Mutton Liver Kidney Curry ) ... Mutton liver and kidney, cooked together in onion and yogurt based curry. This delicious curry is specially prepared on Eid-ul-Adha, after qurbani ( animal sacrifice ) and is served as a breakfast / brunch with roti or Naan.
Kaleji Gurday Masala ( Mutton Liver Kidney Curry )
For Boiling :
- 1 kg. Mutton liver and kidney ( kaleji gurday )
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 medium onion ( about 125 gm. ), thinly sliced
- 1 cup ( 250 gm. ) yogurt
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 black cardamom
- 3 - 4 cloves
- 6 - 8 whole black pepper
- Pinch of nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. dried fenugreek leaves ( kasuri methi)
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Chop the liver and kidney into medium-sized pieces; wash well.
- Boil water in a large pan and add the liver, kidneys and ginger garlic paste. Boil on medium heat until the liver and kidneys are tender, but not completely cooked.
- Remove from fire and drain water. While they are cooking, prepare the curry.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan, add sliced onion and fry until golden brown.
- Remove onion from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Blend fried onions with yogurt and cumin seeds to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Add cardamom, cloves, black pepper, nigella seeds, cinnamon stick and ginger garlic paste to the oil in the pan. Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt with little water. Stir-fry for a minute until the oil separates ( taking care not to burn it ) .
- Add onion yogurt paste and ( 1/2 cup ) water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and cook until the water has completely evaporated and oil has separated.
- Add boiled liver and kidney to the curry. Add water ( depending on how thin you want the curry ), cover and cook on low heat until liver and kidney are completely cooked and the curry is slightly thick.
- Add fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder. Cook, covered on very low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or Naan.
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!