Farfallette Dolce ( Sweet Butterflies ) ... Enjoy a sweet treat from Italy! These fried cookies are formed from strips of sweet dough that are twisted and tied into butterfly shapes, fried in oil and served with a dusting of Icing sugar.
Farfallette Dolce ( Sweet Butterflies )
Makes : 24 cookies
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Sifted Icing sugar, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until well blended. Add granulated sugar and beat well.
- Beat in lemon juice, milk and ( 1 tbsp. ) olive oil.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add flour and salt, beating well after each addition.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a pastry cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into strips ( 6 inches long and 3/4 inch wide ).
- Tie each strip into a knot so the ends resemble thin butterfly wings.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep-frying over medium heat.
- Working in batches, fry the cookies, turning once until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cookies to a paper lined dish.
- Let cool, then sprinkle with Icing sugar.
- In the original recipe, ( 1 tbsp. sweet kosher wine ) is added along with milk.
- Make sure to roll the dough out to the thickness recommended, otherwise the cookies won't cook all the way through. ( Mine were a bit thick, as you can see; but they were still great ).
Linking this to these parties : The Sunday Showcase Party , nifty thrifty sunday , Think Pink Sundays , A Round Tuit , Make it Pretty Monday , What’d You Do This Weekend? , Time to Sparkle , Tasty Tuesdays , Tasteful Tuesdays , Tuesday Talent Show , It's a Party! , Cast Party Wednesday , Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Riverton Housewives Round Up , Lovely Ladies Linky ( Parrish, Dana, Emily, Leslie, Markell & Traci, Molly ) , Full Plate Thursday , The Weekly Creative ( Melanie , Diana ) , Blog Stalking Thursday , Thursday's treasures ( Christie, Debi ) , Showcase Your Talent Thursday , Tasty Thursday , Whimsy Wednesdays ( Jenny , Kelly , Susan , Ashley ) , what's shakin' link party , Link Party Palooza ( I Heart Nap Time, Lil' Luna, Somewhat Simple, Tatertots & Jello & Today's Creative Blog ) , Friday Favorites , Happy Hour Friday ( Adrianne & Nancy ) , Shine On Fridays ( Kara , Amy , Kirsten , Hannah ) , Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday , Foodie Friday , Freedom Fridays , Friday Flash Blog , T.G.I.F. Link Party ( Rebecca, Kat, Cathy ) , The Weekend re-Treat , Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday , SHOW-licious Craft Showcase , Your Great Idea Link Party , Finding the Pretty & Delicious , Super Saturday Show & Tell , Super Saturday Link Party ( Jeni & Made From Pinterest )
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!