Arvi Ka Salan ( Colocasia / Taro Root Curry ) ... A simple vegetable curry, made with onions, tomatoes and spices. It tastes great with a squeeze of lemon on top.
Arvi Ka Salan ( Colocasia / Taro Root Curry )
- 500 gm. Colocasia / Taro Root ( Arvi )
- 1/4 cup oil; or less
- 125 gm. ( 2 medium ) onions, thinly sliced
- 250 gm. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 6 - 8 whole black pepper
- 4 - 5 cloves
- 2 large cardamom
- 2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. red chillies powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. salt, or according to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 2 -3 green chillies
- 2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash arvi and let them dry. Then peel the skin with a knife and make lengthwise slits halfway through arvis. Place in a bowl of water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and put in a blender with tomatoes and cumin seeds. Blend to a fine paste ( add little water, if needed ).
- Add ginger garlic paste, black pepper, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick to the oil; stir-fry for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, chillies powder, turmeric and salt along with the blended paste of onion and tomatoes.
- Add 1 cup water, cover and cook over medium heat until the water dries out and the oil begins to separate.
- Add arvi and enough water ( depending on how thick or thin you want the curry ); cover and cook over medium heat until arvi becomes tender ( not mushy ) and the required curry / gravy is left.
- Add garam masala, green chillies and coriander leaves to the curry. Cook on very low heat for 3 - 4 minutes until the oil comes to the top.
- Serve hot with Chapati / Roti, Naan or Paratha.
Linking this to these parties : The Sunday Showcase Party , nifty thrifty sunday , Think Pink Sundays , A Round Tuit , Make it Pretty Monday , What’d You Do This Weekend? , Time to Sparkle , Tasty Tuesdays , Tasteful Tuesdays , Tuesday Talent Show , It's a Party! , Cast Party Wednesday , Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Riverton Housewives Round Up , Lovely Ladies Linky ( Parrish, Dana, Emily, Leslie, Markell & Traci, Molly ) , Full Plate Thursday , The Weekly Creative ( Melanie , Diana ) , Blog Stalking Thursday , Thursday's treasures ( Christie, Debi ) , Showcase Your Talent Thursday , Tasty Thursday , Whimsy Wednesdays ( Jenny , Kelly , Susan , Ashley ) , what's shakin' link party , Link Party Palooza ( I Heart Nap Time, Lil' Luna, Somewhat Simple, Tatertots & Jello & Today's Creative Blog ) , Friday Favorites , Happy Hour Friday ( Adrianne & Nancy ) , Shine On Fridays ( Kara , Amy , Kirsten , Hannah ) , Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday , Foodie Friday , Freedom Fridays , Friday Flash Blog , T.G.I.F. Link Party ( Rebecca, Kat, Cathy ) , The Weekend re-Treat , Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday , SHOW-licious Craft Showcase , Your Great Idea Link Party , Finding the Pretty & Delicious , Super Saturday Show & Tell , Super Saturday Link Party ( Jeni & Made From Pinterest )
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!