Zarda ( Sweet Yellow Rice ) ... Zarda is a traditional Pakistani / Indian sweet rice dish with dried fruits & nuts. The name Zarda is derived from the Persian and Urdu word 'zard' meaning 'yellow'. It is a popular dessert on weddings and also distributed during Islamic festivals and religious occasions.
Zarda ( Sweet Yellow Rice )
Serves : 4 - 6
- 250 gm. Basmati or Sella rice
- Water, as required ( for boiling rice )
- Yellow or orange food color, as required
- 1 star anise
- 3 - 4 cloves
- 1/4 cup ghee / cooking oil
- 3 - 4 green cardamoms
- 200 - 250 gm. sugar
- 2 tbsp. almonds ( blanched, peeled & sliced )
- 2 tbsp. sliced pistachios
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- 2 tbsp. fresh or dried coconut, thinly sliced
- 100 gm. murabba / ashrafis ( candied fruits )
- 100 gm. khoya, gulab jamun or cham cham; optional
- 1 tsp. kewra water
- Wash and soak rice in enough water to cover by 2 inches, for half an hour to two hours, depending on the variety of rice you are using. Drain water and set aside.
- Boil water in a large pan with food color, star anise and cloves.
- Add drained rice and boil till fully cooked. Drain water and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in the pan, add cardamoms. When it crackles, add the drained rice, sugar, almonds, pistachios, coconut & raisins.
- Cook on low heat, covered until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn heat to high and cook uncovered , stirring occasionally until the water dries out.
- Now add murabba / ashrafi on top of rice and cook on very low heat, covered for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add kewra water and mix gently.
- Serve garnished with khoya, gulab jamun and cham cham, if desired.
Linking this to these parties : The Sunday Showcase Party , nifty thrifty sunday , Sundae Scoop , Think Pink Sundays , Sugar & Slice Sunday , Martha Mondays , A Round Tuit , Make it Pretty Monday , What’d You Do This Weekend? , Tasty Tuesdays , Tuesday's Table , Tasteful Tuesdays , Tuesday Talent Show , Wednesday Adorned from Above , Whatcha' Whipped Up , Hookin Up with HoH , It's a Party! , Cast Party Wednesday , Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Riverton Housewives Round Up , Two Girls and a Party ( Parrish & Dana ) , Full Plate Thursday , SYS Blog Link Party , Tasty Creations , The Weekly Creative , Blog Stalking Thursday , Thursday's treasures ( Christie, Debi & Joan ) , Showcase Your Talent Thursday , Tasty Thursday , Simply Create Link Party ( Ashley & Melissa ) , what's shakin' link party , Friday Favorites , Happy Hour Friday , Shine On Fridays ( Kara , Amy , Kirsten , Hannah ) , Look What's Cookin' , Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday , Foodie Friday , Freedom Fridays , Show Off Friday , Do Something Crafty Friday , Friday Flash Blog , T.G.I.F. Link Party , The Weekend re-Treat , Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday , SHOW-licious Craft Showcase , Your Great Idea Link Party
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!