Dahi Phulkian ( Gram Flour Dumplings In Yogurt Sauce ) ... A refreshing and light summer meal. These are dumplings made of gram flour, topped with yogurt sauce, tempering and a sprinkle of chaat masala. Serve as a side dish or an appetizer.
Dahi Phulkian ( Gram Flour Dumplings In Yogurt Sauce )
Serves : 6 - 8
For Phulki ( Dumplings ) :
- 1 cup gram flour ( besan )
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda or Sodium Bicarbonate
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- Pinch of nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds ( ajwaiin )
- 1 tsp. crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. dried pomegranate seeds ( anar dana )
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves or mint leaves, chopped
- Water, as required
- Oil, for deep frying
- 750 gm. plain natural yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- Chaat masala, to taste
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 4 - 5 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 - 3 whole dried red chillies, optional
- Few curry leaves, optional
- 1 tbsp. cumin seeds
For Phulki ( Dumplings ) :
- Sift the gram flour in a bowl. Add soda, salt, red chilli powder, nigella seeds, cumin seeds and caraway seeds.
- Add enough water, a little at a time, to make a medium thickness batter. Whisk thoroughly to remove lumps. The batter should not be very runny or very thick.
- Add coriander seeds, pomegranate seeds, onion, green chillies and fresh coriander; mix well. Leave aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep fryer on medium heat.
- Drop in the batter a tablespoon at a time in oil and fry until golden brown, turn once or twice during frying.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Add hot dumplings to yoghurt sauce, keep aside for 10 - 15 minutes so that dumplings absorb water and become soft.
- Add tempering and sprinkle chaat masala before serving.
- Whisk yogurt with 1/2 cup water, salt and red chilli powder to make a smooth paste.
For Tempering :
- Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add garlic and fry till light golden.
- Add dried red chillies, curry leaves and cumin seeds. Remove and add to the prepared dish.
- Adjust salt & spices according to taste.
- If the yogurt sauce becomes too thick, add more water until the desired thickness is reached.
Linking this to these parties : Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop , The Sunday Showcase Party , nifty thrifty sunday , Sundae Scoop , Think Pink Sundays , Sugar & Slice Sunday , Martha Mondays Link Up Party , A Round Tuit , Make it Pretty Monday , Tasteful Tuesdays , Tuesday Confessional Link Party , Tuesday Talent Show , Wednesday Adorned from Above , Whatcha' Whipped Up , Hookin Up with HoH , It's a Party! , Cast Party Wednesday , Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Wednesday Extravaganza , Riverton Housewives Round Up , Two Girls and a Party ( Parrish & Dana ) , Weekend Show Off Party , Full Plate Thursday , SYS Blog Link Party , Tasty Creations , The Weekly Creative , Blog Stalking Thursday , Creative Juice Thursday , Thursday's treasures ( Christie, Debi & Joan ) , Showcase Your Talent Thursday , Tasty Thursday , Busy Bee's Thursdays , Simply Create Link Party ( Ashley & Melissa ), what's shakin' link party , Friday Favorites , Happy Hour Friday , Delicately Constructed Friday! , Shine On Fridays ( Kara & Amy ) , Look What's Cookin' , Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party , Foodie Friday , Freedom Fridays , Show Off Friday , Do Something Crafty Friday , The Weekend re-Treat , Pin Me Linky Party , Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday , SHOW-licious Craft Showcase , Your Great Idea Link Party
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!