Holiday Meringue Cookies ... Delicious meringue cookies, shaped into Christmas trees and wreaths. Light, airy and sweet confections that are crisp on the outside and soft and slightly chewy on the inside.
Holiday Meringue Cookies
Makes : about 24 wreaths or 12 trees ( depending on the size )
- 2 eggs ( whites only ), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Few drops green food color
- Red and green candied cherries ( or tutti-frutti ), cut as desired
- Chocolate, melted ( optional )
- Preheat the oven to 140 C / 275 F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks in a large ( clean, dry and grease free ) mixing bowl. Make sure, no yolks gets into the whites as egg yolk will keep the egg whites from forming stiff peaks.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer or beater, on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar to the egg whites ( two tablespoon at a time ) and continue to beat, on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and sugar is almost dissolved. The mixture will be thick and glossy at this stage.
- Beat in the vanilla essence and food color ( for wreaths ).
- Place meringue mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe onto lined cookie sheets forming 2-inch wreaths; decorate with candied cherries ( or tutti-frutti ). For making Christmas trees, pipe back and forth in a zigzag motion.
- Bake 25 minutes, then reduce oven to 120 C / 250 F and continue baking for 23 to 27 minutes or until the meringues are pale, crisp and lift away easily from the parchment paper.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over cooled meringues, if you like and let it set.
- Store meringues in an airtight container at room temperature, up to one week.
Linking this to these parties : The Sunday Showcase Party , nifty thrifty sunday , Think Pink Sundays , A Round Tuit , Make it Pretty Monday , Time to Sparkle ( Inside BruCrew Life , The Gunny Sack , The Recipe Critic , Love Grows Wild ) , Tasty Tuesdays ( Anyonita Nibbles , Craft Dictator , Detours in Life , Lori's Culinary Creations , Red Cottage Chronicles , Three in Three , Mom on the Run x2 , West Street Story , I'm Not a Trophy Wife , Ma Niche ) , Create Link Inspire ( Nap-Time Creations , Kleinworth & Co. , Marvelous Mommy , The Crafty Blog Stalker ) , Tuesday Talent Show , It's a Party! , Cast Party Wednesday , Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Riverton Housewives Round Up , Lovely Ladies Linky ( Parrish, Dana, Emily, Leslie, Markell & Traci, Molly ) , Full Plate Thursday , The Weekly Creative ( Diana , Rachelle , Becca , Hani , Melanie & Kimmie ) , Blog Stalking Thursday , Showcase Your Talent Thursday , Tasty Thursday , Whimsy Wednesdays ( Jenny , Kelly , Susan , Ashley ) , what's shakin' link party , Link Party Palooza ( I Heart Nap Time, Lil' Luna, Somewhat Simple, Tatertots & Jello & Today's Creative Blog ) , Friday Favorites , Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday , Foodie Friday , Freedom Fridays , Show Off Friday , T.G.I.F. Link Party ( Rebecca, Kat, Cathy ) , The Weekend re-Treat ( Shauna & Britni ) , Strut Your Stuff Saturday , Serenity Saturday , SHOW-licious Craft Showcase , Your Great Idea Link Party & Super Saturday Show & Tell , Finding the Pretty & Delicious , Super Saturday Link Party ( Jeni & Made From Pinterest )
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!